Friday, May 29, 2009

Stewart Pidd's Synthetica Essay

Treana Penn
Professor Sabir
March 27 2009
Stewart Pidd mistakenly uses a subjective case pronoun with a compound object. He states, “. . . Ditch wanted to come with Camper and I . . .” (1). There is not a preposition in front of “Camper and I”. The case rule for a preposition preceding a pronoun use the objective case if the pronoun follows a preposition. The pronoun “I” does not function as part of the subject. He can fix the error by replacing the subjective pronoun “I” with the correct case pronoun “me”. The correct sentence will read, “. . . Ditch wanted to come with Camper and me. . . .” (1).
Pidd does not use a case pronoun to modify an object. He states, “. . . After two of the generals attacked two of the hill drivers, Camper and I . . .” (1). The noun phrase “two of the hill drivers” functions as an object in the sentence. Pidd uses the case “ I” for the appositive that modifies the noun phrase. The pronoun used in an appositive does not have the same function as the noun it renames. He can correct the error by changing the pronoun “I” to the pronoun “me”. The correct sentence will read, “. . . After two of the Generals attacked two of the hill drivers, Camper and Me. . .” (1).
Pidd has trouble determining case with a comparison using the word “than”. He writes, “. . . Ditch was smarter than Camper and me. . .” (2). The key word that precedes the phrase “Camper and me” was, smarter. There is a comparison being made. The sentence does not make sense if Pidd finishes the sentence by writing, “me is”. Pidd can correct the sentence by using the subjective case pronouns for comparisons using than and as. The sentence will read, “. . . Ditch was smarter than Camper and I. . . .”.
Stewart misuses the objective pronoun “me” as a part of a compound subject. He states, “. . . Me and Camper laughed hard because Ditch is probably the dumbest of the Dents. . .” (2). The subject of the sentence is “Me and Camper”. When the pronoun is part of the subject., the writer should use a subjective case. If you isolate the pronoun you want to test, your ear will often tell you if the case is incorrect. Pidd can fix the error by replacing the compound subject “Me and Camper” with a compound object “Camper and I”. The revised sentence will read, “. . . Camper and I, laughed hard because Ditch is probably the Dumbest of the Dents. . .” (2).
Pidd chose the wrong pronoun for his subject compliment. He writes, “It was he who told Ranger Encantado that I could see why she was a former Ludville Bat Guano Bay Queen” (2). Pidd uses the
Pronoun “he” for the subject compliment. The pronoun rule for the subject complement is to use subjective case pronouns for subjective complements. Pidd used a subjective case pronoun for the subject compliment. He can fix the sentence by switching the subject with the subject compliment. The sentence will now read, “ It was him that told Ranger Encantado that I could see why she was a former Ludville Bat Guano Bay Queen. . . .” (2).
Stewart Pidd makes a comparison mistake using “than” by picking the wrong pronoun case. He writes, “. . . you are almost pretty as her. . .” (2). Pidd makes a comparison in the sentence. Pidd uses the word “as” to make his comparison. He can check for the correct case when using “as” by adding a verb after the pronoun to complete the comparison. The sentence would not make sense if Pidd finished the sentence with “as pretty as her is”. To correct the sentence Pidd can replace the subjective case “her” with the objective case pronoun “she”. The revised sentence will read, “. . . you are almost as pretty as she is. . .” (2).
Pidd uses the wrong pronoun case for an appositive modifying the subject. He writes, “. . . I think I am going to ask my Pa, Sid, if the Pidd Men, Sid and me. . .” (2). The appositive “Sid and me” is modifying a subject. The case rule for modifying subjects is to use the same case for compliments as the subjects they modify. Pidd can fix the error by using the subjective case if the pronoun is modifying a subject; otherwise use the objectives. The correct sentence will read, “. . . I think I am going to ask my Pa, Sid, if the Pidd Men, Sid and I. . . .” (2).

No comments:

Post a Comment