Friday, May 29, 2009

Free Writes

Treana Penn
English 201B
10-12 M/W


Freewrite: I Need Love by LL Cool J

This whole experience has been such a revelation

It's taught me love and how to be a real man

To always be considerate and do all I can

Protect you you're my lady and you mean so much

My body tingles all over from the slightest touch


These four stanzas of, I Need Love, stood out the most to me. In the month, where "Love" has its own day, this song matches perfectly with the theme of Valentine's Day. When LL Cool J, uses the word revelation describing Love, that shows it means a lot to him. Love means the same to me as it does to him wether it is good or bad love. Love is a learning process that starts off from learning from relationships. Relationships with yourself, family, girlfriend, boyfriend, work, friends etc,. Every girl always wants the perfect girl just like boys want their perfect girl. But everybody knows, even LL Cool J realizes, that is just living in a fantasy world to be able to get that. Everything that he wrote, is something that I can relate to with love. Also, everything he saying is something that I appreciate in a man. A man being a man, but yet with a sensitive side.
7:23 PM



Treana Penn
April 6, 2009
Professor Sabir
Obama’s Forgiveness

Barack Obama grew up in a single parent home without his father in his life. While he was growing up he only had a couple of encounters with his father. Those couple times he left as quickly as he would come around. He also dealt with his parents being an interracial couple making things more complicated. Obama has not gotten over the fact that his dad was in the picture teaching him how to be a man. Even though, Obama has had his grandma and a family friend show him the ropes out of the kindness of their heart.



Paraphrasing

By paraphrasing another author's words it shows that you understand their their opinions. Understanding their words enough, that you can write it in your own words without changing the meaning of the sentences. If you are not paraphrasing then you are plagiarizing
the writer's work, word by word which is illegal. Or people try to get away with plagiarism by replacing the author's words with similar words that mean the same thing. There is also Literal paraphrasing, when you replace the author's words and phrase, but the sentence structure stays the same.



Stewart pidd

I feel that Stewart Pidd Hates English is a great way to refresh our English skills. Even though, it looks like easy tasks for an elementary students. It is material that as elementary school we majority of the time do not remember way back then everything what we have learned. I know it will help me and the rest of my classmates with our basic English.


Dear Ms Sabir,

This is my second semester of being enrolled in College of Alameda. Also my second semester of being in your English Class, this time I passed 201A with a B into 201B. In the beginning, of last semester I did not respond to the post at first. In the end I started to realize how important it was to commit to every single thing. Your spring of 2009 letter for this semester's English class is very different, very long still, but different. Because, I did not realize how much you were involved with children and helped volunteer for community programs. It really shows how you are serious about helping us as well. Even though, you are a professor that is use to dealing with children, I appreciate that you treat us like the adults we are instead of children.

I don't understand how you were able to graduate from high school at the age of fifteen. The only person I think who did that was Martin Luther King Jr. or he graduated from college at fifteen. Either one of the two. I was wondering how that was even possible to accomplish. I will probally find that out later.

I must admit that 201A was a challenge. The 201A was challenging to my self skills, knowledge, maturity, concentration and my goals. I always loved writing, just did not know how to process out my writings. I used to receive low grades in high school. Which I brought over to College starting off with a D in the middle of the semester. Then putting fort more effort and time. I passed your class with a B that gave me more confidence in myself.




Treana Penn
English 201B
M/W 10-12

Love Your Enemies

Martin Luther King Jr says, "this command is an absolute necessity for the survival of our civilization. Yes, it is love that will save our world and our civilization, love even for enemies." (1). I feel love is a struggle, especially when it comes to loving an enemy or enemies. In this essay, Martin Luther King explains, love is an important factor of live to make it through this world. King feels that we must love our enemies, because we are all God's children. So that same person who could possibly be an enemy, could also possibly be God's child, too. His blueprint to loving an enemy may seem difficult to understand, but it is to " Love yourself". By looking at everything your enemy may dislike you for and find the beauty of it that is inside yourself. I think that President Barack Obama lives by Martin Luther Kings sermons and words. Because, he has lived King's speech of change, by becoming the first African American President. As Obama quotes, ""There's not a liberal America and a conservative America; there is the United States of America. There's not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America; there is the United States of America," (Obama, 2004) showing his love for everyone and not discriminating as an enemy would do.



Treana Penn

M/W 10-11:50



“Wear Clean Draws”



In the song, Wear Clean Draws, a line is quoted that my step mom repeats to me constantly over and over that sticks with me as a young adult. She always tells me to stay prepared, so that you do not have to get ready. To me that quote she tells me relates to the song, “Wear Clean Draws”, because it talks about staying ready for any obstacle thrown your way. The reason it sticks in my head is that at times I do procrastinate and the quote prevents me from procrastinating in life. It is relevant to when he says “Wear Clean Draws”, because you might end up in any situation. The statement is like a metaphor. By wearing clean draws is like being fresh, prepared and clean. For example, if you have on clean draws and some how end up in a concussion, at least you will know that the person is clean and takes care of themselves. So if you make the decision to wear clean draws, you will be able to be prepared for any situation.




Treana Penn

M/W 10-11:50





1/20/09 A Day of a New Day



On January 20, 2009, I walked into twenty days after the year of 2008, realizing that the changes in my life were just at its peak point. The night before, I prepared for the anxious day of the inauguration of a new President. I drew a picture of President Barack Obama on the back of one of my favorite shirts, with a favorite quote of mine that he said. The quote basically saying that, America is America and we are all as a people united. I ironed my shirt, ate my breakfast, I watched the beginning of the inauguration on television with my step dad anxiously, before I went on my way to school. The day of the inauguration, there were people every where heading to different events, people of every race coming together as one witness change. As I took the Bart to school I realized looking around at every one sitting in the seats. What if the Bart was segregated? What if women could not vote? What if I did not have the right to speak out about my feelings? I would not be able to go to school, to learn or either to vote. Those are privileges that I value.



As I got to school, I wore my shirt with President Obama in the back of it with pride. I felt proud to speak out loud in school and to appreciate my education. President Obama becoming elected was not a shock to me, the time frame of it being in my lifetime was shocking. The year I was able to register vote, I voted for a President that came along and created a new stereotype for African-Americans. I feel that a change starts in an individual and if every individual makes changes for the better. The world can slowly see a brighter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment