Friday, December 19, 2008

NARRATIVE ESSAY

Treana Penn
English 201A/ MW 1:00-2:50

The college life, as every one who has been in college, the first thing that they bring up are “parties”. Yet, they do not bring up the hard work that comes along with all that partying. One of my main classes that I put my focus on is my English Class, because it requires the most work. Fresh out of High School and into college, you began to learn more about yourself. It is a beginning of a new chapter of my autobiography. I have personally learned more about myself, in my English Class. This semester is now coming to its end, but I am just begging for the next semester.

In my English, of course there was continuous writing, that at times seemed overwhelming. I always liked to write stories, but my problem was correctly formatting the papers. After, reviewing my graded essays I found out that the issue was not rereading my papers and careless mistakes. Those careless mistakes have caused my grades to drop. That showed me that I was accepting to settle for less. Something, that I am working on, because I am striving for the best in this point of my life. With all the assignments that were posted, I had to learn discipline, by just keeping up and just doing the assignments. Apart of my goal was to stay focused this semester and receive straight A’s in all my classes. Yet, I did not set my standards for how I would achieve that and I will do that for next semester. College is hard work only if I allow it to be hard work.

During My English class we focused on the Literature of Tupac. There was a lot that I learned about Tupac’s knowledge of history and literature. From learning that he has read over hundreds of books makes me want read and I find what he got from the reading. I find it interesting how A English class can focus on a rapper, while still studying English Literature. By reading, “The Rose That Grew From Concrete”, a poem book written by Tupac Shakur, I was able to relate to a lot of his poems that I have written in my poem book. Tupac was easy to relate to, making the class more interesting. I feel that method is helpful with any of my classes. Find something that I feel is interesting and relate it to the class subject, even if the teacher did not assign it. I found, Hacker, useful when it comes to essays. Personally, I realized that I have to be my own teacher.

I am progressively completing my childhood goals, by completing my first semester of College. The last 18 weeks of my life have been spent in college allowing me to meet a new mature me. As of today, I am my own disciplinarian. The most important thing that has affected is learning to be consistent with my work. My plan is to continue to in school and not allow my self to fail as a young woman. Since, I am still in the process of living the college life I will take everything I am learning and use it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment