Tuesday, December 16, 2008

EXTRA CREDIT ESSAY: COLLEGE SUCESS CLASS: CAREER RESEARCH ESSAY!

Grade Received: B-

My whole life, I envisioned myself being a model on the runway to model other big time fashion designer's clothing lines. Then, my vision began to expand, as I realized that I can have my own line, but I knew it wouldn't be easy. Becoming, a Fashion Designer in today’s fashion industry, consists of hard work to make it to the top. After researching what it really takes to be a fashion designer as my career of choice, I gathered important information about the requirements to be able to achieve such a successful career . Today’s employment statistics say, that just a high school diploma would not out shine others competing to be in this field. In order to be a high paid fashion designer, there are certain expectations to be met. For instance a career path that includes many steps to walk up. The "key" to success is staying in school, because many careers require college degrees, rather than just a high school diploma to excel.

A talent is something that should not be wasted, but should be practiced into a profession. Especially a talent that is of deep interest, such as a being a fashion designer. This a career path that requires precise courses and skills. The popular designers, such as Kimora Lee Simmons, are not likely fresh out of high school, the highest level of education for a fashion designer, is to obtain at least an Associates Degree in Arts. Several Art courses consist of these classes, following; Art History, Principles of Fashion, Theory of Color, and Drawing I & II. Different people have their own passion(s), I enjoy working in the work field of the Arts, a passion of mine that I plan on achieving as a successful career. Besides, just taking the classes, you have to also be aware of different types of fashion trends from each country.

The fashion Industry is a very tough, you have to know the ins and outs of it to maintain on the same level. As the other leading fashion designers. Originality, creativeness, and uniqueness, are necessities that are needed while designing the latest garments for the upcoming seasons. For example, designers work for themselves and the clients that are interested in buying items from the line. In order to complete a line of garments, fashion designers have to take responsibility for sketching, cutting, draping, tailoring, and fitting their own apparel, but most of the time their is a team on hand. Although, the work requires difficult tasks with long hours, and benefits come along the way of the job. The benefits vary for different people, but the traveling and taking trips around the world for job related tasks are constant. Even though, the first fashion designer, Charles Worth did not have to go through the same steps as many up and coming designers. Times have changed since the 1800's and people have to work harder to set the bar higher than Charles Worth did. There are three primary type of work fashion designers can choose from. The three ways are working freelance; self-employed, working in house; employed by other designers, and having ones own label. Which, I personally prefer, because I would want to be the boss.

There are other jobs that are associated with fashion designing, if I should loose interest with fashion designing, which I doubt. By holding an Associates Degree, it can take me where ever I want to go as far as being employed, as long as I have my degree. I can move into working in the same field, such as a costume designer, an interior designer, or even a professional painter. By studying the Arts Major, I can accomplish, becoming an interior designer as well. I've always I could have my own art gallery.

To me a fashion designer is not just a career; it is something that you have to have a love for somewhere in your heart. There has to be more than skills, there has to be a certain drive, determination, motivation and inspiration as well, to take on a job that will prosper into success. A creative mind can take you any where that you want to go; you must have the imagination, the same imagination that will be necessary in the fashion industry. The world will not sit and wait for your next move, so you have to have a sense of initiative in order to take charge of your life and goals to have a successful career. To be able to shine above, you have to plan. Planning is important, especially with a job like a fashion designer.

Therefore, in any job, you can not just jump into anything without knowing the background and what challenges that can be brought your way. I have learned that we as humans do not know everything and that we need to take the time to research our territories. Also, learn from those who have more wisdom in specific areas than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment